SUSSEX COUNTY, Del.- Three people died from flu related complications in Sussex County in the past week, officials say.
Recently, a 65-year-old man who was infected with Influenza A died, making him the first flu fatality. Additionally a 73-year-old man and a 77-year-old woman also died after being infected with Influenza A.
All three individuals had underlying health conditions, Delaware’s Department of Public Health says.
But people are taking no chances with this year’s flu strain.
Robert Henry, a physician’s assistant at Ambient Care in Seaford, said “the most vulnerable population is the very young, the very old, and then also persons that have like chronic medical conditions,” he said.
Doctors are recommending that people get the flu shot. People like Gene Hemshrot says he and his wife have gotten the flu shot every year for the past 20.
“We got ours in September because we were going on vacation and we wanted to make sure we were covered,” Hemshrot said.
Some, like Michael Cohen of Sussex County says he previously resisted the flu shot, but is happy he got one.
“At one time I didn’t believe in it because I was getting mixed messages about it,” he said. “That you will catch the virus, and I have talked to many pharmacists and they say that’s not true.”
Officials say that as of Dec. 22, there were 461 laboratory-confirmed flu cases in Delaware, more than double the 225 laboratory-confirmed cases reported at this time last year.
People hope the numbers will slow down in the new year.