Life seems busier than ever for most people these days. Let’s face it: it’s not always easy to find time to hit the yoga studio, head to the gym or find your way to the great outdoors for a workout. What’s a fitness-conscious person, determined to stay, healthy to do? Regardless where you are on the fitness spectrum, here are some of my favorite ways to burn fat or stay trim even when you’re too busy to fit in a serious workout. Of course, it’s important to exercise on a regular basis, so these ideas are not meant to be substitutes for a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Add more physical activity throughout your day: Our ancestors didn’t have weight rooms and health clubs. Instead, they stayed fit by leading an active life. Here are some simple suggestions for fitting more fat-burning activity into your daily regime:
- Walk as much as possible rather than drive.
- Take the stairs over the elevator.
- Grow a garden. Gardening is a great form of exercise. Better yet, grow your own organic, nutrient-dense foods that will also help you burn fat. Explore ways to do so at FoodHouseProject.com.
- Get up off the couch and complete some household or yard-related chores. Whether it is vacuuming or scrubbing sinks, it all helps you to stay fit.
- Go dancing rather than crash in front of the television.
- Need extra money? Choose a side hustle that involves activity. That way you’ll get paid to workout.
- If you have kids, or even nieces and nephews, give them some of your real time rather than just Facetime on your phone. Playing burns more fat than most people realize.
- Eat Vegan Protein at Every Meal: While protein at every meal helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and burn fat, meat takes a tremendous amount of energy to digest. Instead, choose plant-based protein at every meal. Your body and the planet will thank you. Check out Top Vegan Sources of Protein.
- Find Healthy Outlets to Reduce Stress: We’re all dealing with high levels of stress these days, so it’s more important than ever to find ways of reducing our stress load and the toll it takes on our bodies, including weight gain and obesity. Here are some stress busters:
- Take some deep breaths—deep breathing quickly and effectively stops the release of stress hormones like cortisol that can lead to weight gain.
- Turn on some upbeat music to lift your spirits.
- Chat with a trustworthy friend.
- Sing it out. Singing can alleviate stress build up. It doesn’t matter whether you sing in the car, the shower or in a local theatre production.
- Write out your stresses and include possible ways of dealing with each.
- Inhale anxiety-alleviating lavender or energy-boosting wild orange essential oil. Both oils have been proven to help with stress.
- Cut Out the Sugar: Whether you’re drinking sugary beverages or gorging on pastries, cutting them out can help your body burn fat without doing much else. It’s easier than you think if you eat some protein and fiber at every meal to balance blood sugars, which also cuts cravings. I make extra tea, sweeten it with stevia, then chill it to drink instead of soda. Fruity teas, green tea with some extra stevia and lemon, or black tea work great.
- Go to Bed Earlier: Sufficient deep sleep is necessary to ensure a healthy metabolism and to maintain a healthy weight. Go to bed earlier and maybe rub a little lavender oil on your palms or diffuse it into the air to help you sleep deeper. Lavender essential oil is a proven effective natural sleep aid.
Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD, DNM shares her food growing, cooking, preserving, and other food self-sufficiency adventures at FoodHouseProject.com. She is the publisher of the free e-newsletter World’s Healthiest News and an international best-selling and 20-time published book author whose works include her newest book: FOOD FIX: The Most Powerful Healing Foods and How to Use Them to Overcome Disease. Follow her work.